In a World Where You Can Be Anything, Be Kind.
Updated: Feb 17
This quote is floating around social media this morning after the news broke that Caroline Flack took her own life yesterday. I don't want to talk about Caroline, suicide or even mental health specifically. I want to focus on kindness and the impact it can have.
Everyday, kindness transforms lives. When was the last time you held the door for someone? When did you go out of your way to make someone feel good? When did you last simply ask someone if they were okay?
These small actions have big consequences. Choose to believe in kind.
Everyone has mental health. While I am certainly no expert, I have seen people battle through horrible eating disorders, depression, bipolar and anxiety. I have friends who have tried to commit suicide and some who have done so. Mental health is everywhere and we are finally starting to talk about it.
If you listened to Paul Merson on The Debate you would have heard some horrifying statistics regarding teenage suicide. It is also is highly prevalent in middle-age men. In the UK & Republic of Ireland, there were 6,859 suicides in 2018. It affects everyone.
So despite the fact we are not mental health professionals what can we do? We can choose to be kind.
For the next week try these five things daily:
1) Make at least one person laugh.
2) Ask three people how they are, and really ask how they are.
3) Perform a 'random act of kindness'. Hold that door for a line of 400 people without getting irritated, pick up the breakfast bar that someone drops at the supermarket or help that short person reach the book on the top shelf at the library. Whatever you do, it doesn't have to be big, but kindness from a stranger is often more powerful than kindness from a friend.
4) Say something kind to yourself.
5) Write someone a letter (sounds like an effort right? But it will be so worth it!)
Not only will this change someone else's day, (and by extension maybe their week or beyond), you will feel much happier. If you can help others and help yourself why wouldn't you?
So remember: In a World Where You Can Be Anything, Be Kind.